I truly believe that banana bread is one of those magical things that everyone loves to eat. If you don’t like banana bread, then 1) how dare you and 2) your poor tastebuds have probably never been fortunate enough to experience the taste of warm, freshly baked, homemade banana bread (no, that mass-produced grease-filled crap does not count as banana bread).
Banana bread was always a staple in our house growing up and even now, my mum still whips up large batches of it when her bananas reach just the right amount of blackness to share amongst me and my siblings.
My mother’s banana bread recipe is pretty much fail proof, but delicious as it is, I’ve developed multiple food intolerances and sensitivities, so I’ve had to figure out a way to yield the same deliciousness without the dire consequences.
I’ve swapped out refined flours for some gluten free flours and I’ve found that bananas just on their own are sweet enough to make a tasty loaf. We may skimp on the junk, but definitely not flavour or texture; this recipe still results in a deliciously moist and super banana-y loaf that will put a smile on anyone’s face. And best of all? No mixer required!
Banana bread should also be called “Clear The Refrigerator” bread, because as long as you have some ultra ripe bananas on hand you can pretty much dump anything else in there and it will still taste awesome. Feel free to make this recipe your own by adding in nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips or even fresh berries for variation. Bake it into muffins, mini loaves or even spoon out some cakey cookies!
Hearty Banana Bread
Gluten free, grain free, Paleo, no added sugar, dairy free option
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted grass-fed ghee/butter or coconut oil
1 3/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF/175ºC and line a medium loaf pan with parchment paper. Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and mashed bananas, then vanilla and ghee/oil until well combined.
3. Slowly fold in the dry ingredients into the wet with a spatula, until just mixed through and no visible flour remains
4. Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until golden brown and skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool in the loaf pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Slice and serve warm with some salted butter or your favourite nut butter. Enjoy!
I’d love to know how this recipe turns out for you! Don’t forget to tag @thenourished.co and #thenourishedco if you share your creations on social media!